- Being anti-racist is a constant process of learning and un-learning. Learning more about the history of oppression and how it operates, and unlearning imperialist and predominately white narratives about our history. A great example of challenging historical narratives is the NYT 1619 project here, https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/14/magazine/1619-america-slavery.html
- This is a good reading list to get you started, https://www.booktable.net/black-lives-matter-reading-list, please consider supporting black owned ‘The Tiny Bookstore’ when they relaunch in September, or other local Pittsburgh bookstores near you https://tinybookspgh.com/
- Talking and learning more about race https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/being-antiracist
Being an anti-racist is an action. Creating awareness around and issues and confronting personal bias is an important first step, but ultimately to create change we need collective action. Some ways to put your values into actions include donating either your time or money.
- Join a local activist organization and use your skills in organizing, science, law, human services, or whatever you are passionate about to help BIPOC
- Volunteer with the Pgh ACLU, they have multiple opportunities for all kinds of talents https://www.aclupa.org/en/volunteer-or-intern
- Volunteer with NAACP, PA is a black battleground state, sign up to get the black vote out in PA https://blackvoiceschangelives.org/
- Sign up for updates from Color of Change https://colorofchange.org/
- Join protests if you feel comfortable doing so -on 08/15 a man at one of the civil Saturday protests was forcibly taken in an unmarked van by police, please be aware of these attacks and keep yourself safe https://twitter.com/JerrySDickinson/status/1294847551695466502?s=20
Pittsburgh Bail Fund https://www.bukitbailfund.org/
Donate to any of the organizations listed above
Support Black Owned Businesses in Pgh
Don’t just make it a moment
Fighting discrimination of any kind involves a dedication to dismantling oppressive systems and educating others. Do not get discouraged if you do not see immediate change right away, but don’t stop your efforts either. Find ways to incorporate anti-racism activism into your life that makes it a sustainable commitment.